Thursday, March 31, 2011

I don't care what DJ Mag says, Deadmau5 is the best.

Every year DJ Mag comes up with a list of the top 100 DJs in the world. For the fourth year in a row, the number one spot went to Armin van Buren. The list comes out around October every year, and it usually reflects who the top DJs fairly accurately. People are going to have their own preferences, but the list gives a very good indication of who's had the best year etc. 
This is not disputing van Buren's talent in any way, but I believe Deadmau5 is the best DJ out there right now. I had the privilege to see him perform in NYC at Roseland Ballroom before Halloween last year, and it was one of the most amazing live performances I ever experienced. I  unfortunately missed his show at the 9:30 Club here in D.C., the one during which he passed out and was later hospitalized for exhaustion. However, I do hope he comes back to D.C. soon, either at the 9:30 Club or at Club Glow. Actually, any place will do, I just hope he comes back. His performances are extremely entertaining from a visual perspective, there's a lot of crowd interaction, which is difficult for a DJ wearing a giant Mau5 Head, and obviously his music is amazing. Well, I think so.
Anyway, this post came out after I saw a video of his performance at Ultra Music Festival this past weekend in Miami. The track is "Sofi Needs a Ladder" off his latest album 4x4=12, which is available on iTunes. In case you were wondering, the drummer is Tommy Lee and Sofi is his (Tommy Lee's) girlfriend. Come on, how cool is that? Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment