Thursday, April 21, 2011

Club Fur Review

I've been talking a lot about DJs playing at Glow @ Club Fur. It only seems right that I wrote a review of the place. I must start this review with a premise. I have had the privilege to go to some of the best clubs in the world. Last summer, I spent a whole week in Ibiza. For those of you who don't know what/where that is, Ibiza is a small island off the coast of Spain. It is to this day considered one of the premiere locations for people seeking and exiting club experience. 
The island offers other tourism opportunities in the north. The best part of the island, according to me at least, is in the south. The southern part of the island houses some of the best clubs in the world. Pacha (who also has one in NYC), Space, Privilege, Circoloco DC10 and Amnesia are the most popular ones, and rightfully so. I highly recommend anyone that really loves and breathes electronic music to go to Ibiza. You will not be disappointed.
Anyway, back to Club Fur. After spending the summer there, my expectations were not that high for Club Fur. I first went there when David Guetta came to D.C. in December 2010. I remember thinking that I was just going to enjoy his set, and did not envision the club itself was going anything exciting. As soon as I walked in, however, I quickly changed my mind. The place is actually a lot bigger than it appears to be from the outside. There are 7 bars, 4 separate rooms and 2 mezzanines. The first thing I noticed that was, in my view, a good indication of how well the place worked, was the wardrobe department. Pretty much every club I've ever been to in my life had horrible lines going to the wardrobe, and you ended up waiting a long time to get your coat checked. That was not the case at Fur; it took me maybe 3 minutes to get my coat and all of my friends' coats checked.
Aside from that minor detail, there were other things I really liked. For some reason, the bar only used top shelf liquor. I don't know if it was an accident or I just got lucky, but they always used great booze to make drinks. And it was only $7 a drink. I know that is not cheap, but for top shelf liquor I was expecting a lot more. Another thing I loved, as a smoker, was the outside area, where they had those space heaters and ashtrays all around. That was much appreciated.
When I got to the main dance floor where Guetta was set to perform, I did immediately think it was a little small and it was going to get pretty packed. My suspicions proved to be right; then again, Guetta attract all kinds of people, so that is not that surprising. The sound system was nothing exceptional, but for the size and location of the club, I thought it was definitely better than expected. I spent about an hour 5 ft away from Guetta and the sound system, and for the next couple of days my hearing was not very good.
The show itself was really good; Guetta was about 45 minutes late, but that has more to do with the DJ than with the club itself. He put on a good show, and at one point a guy covered in LED lights and hooked to the ceiling came in with guns that shot out some type of fog. That was AWESOME. I think he is a staple in Guetta's shows, I saw him in A.C. too.
So all in all, I was pleasantly surprised by Club Fur. My expectations were low coming in, but they were definitely met, and then some. I've gone to a number of other shows there and I expect to go to a lot of them over the next couple of weeks and over the summer. Below I put in some pictures I took with my phone of the Guetta night. Hope you enjoy them!

This was, sadly, the best picture I got of Guetta doing his thing.
 This is the Tron looking guy that jumped around while shooting lasers and fog. As I said, AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment